Northwestern University requires all individuals involved in the conduct of human subjects research to complete human subjects protection training and to re-certify their training every 3 years. IRB approval will be withheld if these training requirements are not met.
These requirements apply to all persons engaged in human research and listed on the eIRB+ study application. Those individuals include, but are not limited to:
- Principal Investigator and Co-investigators,
- Individuals named on a study grant or contract proposal,
- Individuals listed on an FDA form 1572 for the conduct of the research at NU or at an affiliate institution,
- Individuals who are responsible for the informed consent process or recruitment of research participants, and
- Individuals who obtain individually identifiable health information under a Northwestern Business Associate Agreement.
Any one of the following satisfies the initial training requirements and meet the National Institutes of Health (NIH) education requirements.
- CITI Human Subject Protections Basic Course (Northwestern University affiliation)
- Investigator 101 – Live training with IRB staff (this training option requires a group of 5 or more individuals)
- NIH online training* (Please note as of September 26, 2018, this training is no longer available, but is accepted if previously complete within the last 3 years)
If training was completed at another institution, please send a .pdf copy of the completion report to email@example.com to determine if it meets Northwestern’s training requirements.
Re-certification is required every 3 years. Please note, the CITI refresher course may fulfill this requirement 3 times. The CITI basic course will be required on the 4th recertification. Any of the options below satisfy Northwestern’s re-certification training requirements.
- CITI Human Subject Protections Refresher Course
- Investigator 201 – Live re-certification training with IRB staff (this training option requires a group of 5 or more individuals)
- NIH online training* (Please note as of September 26, 2018, this training is no longer available)
* Updating training in eIRB+:If training is completed through any method other than CITI with Northwestern University affiliation, you must send a copy of your completion report to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to update your eIRB+ profile.
Verify Training Status
This file contains only research personnel at Northwestern who have completed training through the CITI website (initial or refresher course) within the last 3 years. Training completed elsewhere (NIH, a live Investigator 101 session, CITI training through another institution) is not listed. Email email@example.com or contact the IRB office with questions.
This spreadsheet is updated on a monthly basis, but individual eIRB+ profiles are updated daily.
This file contains Northwestern research personnel who have completed any of the training options accepted by the NU IRB within the last 3 years, as recorded in eIRB+. Names of individuals who completed training at another institution or via the NIH online course but have not sent documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org will not be captured by this report.
PLEASE NOTE: Completing training through CITI does NOT register you to use eIRB+. Northwestern staff and/or affiliates must create an eIRB+ profile separately. You can find instructions here: Registration Process